Monday, November 28, 2005

A Visit to the Doctor

I love my hospital. LOL I went in for a check up and got some shots. Vaccines. Influenza and the first installment of Hepatitis A & B. Didn't hurt as bad as I thought. My doctor makes me smile. She is always prompt and very well versed in my disease. I know a lot of people are afraid of going to the doctor. Particularly, many are terrified of going to find out if they are HIV+ or not. Personally, I was terrified to go to the doctor after I found out I was positive, because somewhere in my too-smart-for-my-own-good mind, going to the doctor and seeking treatment made it real. If I felt well and ignored it surely it must just go away, right? But now that I am being treated at the Medical University of South Carolina, my life my days are so much better. I don't have (as often) those nagging fears of slowly rotting away to a corpse. I learned the liberating feeling of taking control of my life. It took me SO MANY mistakes and life lessons to get in there and get going but now I wouldn't change it for anything. I feel so bad for those I know, friends and acquaintances both, that won't seek testing or treatment. "What difference can it make?", I hear. All the difference in the world. I love my hospital.

1 comment:

Andre Lancaster said...

rok on man. spoken like a true hiver. i know for me even before i tested poz, my schools clinic represented so much to much. it was like i could hear/see the ghosts of the poz fallen. haunted. now that i'm poz, i have to face that fear. but all hiv affected folks, neg and p oz, should do this, don't u think?

i look forward to reading your posts. welcome to the blogosphere. i'm relatively new myself.

light.