Saturday, January 07, 2006

A Few of My Favorite Things

Two people I read regularly have listed things they like or that make them happy, so I figure I should do the same. Nostalgia. I like the smell of a brand new 2nd grade, shiny-paged workbook. I used to like writing in them with pen with that perfect handwriting you always start every school tear with just knowing that all the answers were going to be right. Blue pen. I love the smell of really old book. The ones whose pages are never evenly cut on the open side and their spines are brittle because so few people read them. Like I was getting in on a secret story or piece of knowledge. I love new books. I just got one with a gift card from Christmas and it has really light stock soft paper and sometimes I just pick it up and flip through the pages to feel the sensation.

I love traveling. I get high off the excitement of seeing somewhere new or returning after long absence to a place I once knew so well. I like standing in the clouds on mountains. And the view of the Rockies front he eastern side. Like in the plains of Wyoming, Montana, or Alberta, Canada. I like cold mountain rivers and evergreens in spring first couple days after the spring thaw.

Being near water makes me happy. Maybe because I am a Water-Bearer. I love the smell of the ocean. And how it smells ALMOST the same all over the world. I like telling perfect strangers they are beautiful, or that they should smile it is not that bad. I like old cities like London or Berlin and Paris. I love the Rosetta Stone. Things of old permanence in a world of thing always new and ever-changing. I love castles. We used to play hide and seek in a bombed out burg when I was in high school.

I love getting my head rubbed. I am not sure where it came from, but I think my mother used to do it when I was a child to get me to sleep. So, now, it is the most comforting thing in the world to me. I like cold houses and great comforters.

I think the thing I like most is learning. And sharing knowledge. Especially with someone with different knowledge than mine. It is like a high to have a 6 hour discussion about everything in the world over coffee or tea and not even realize the cafe is closing down around you. So, I read a lot usually. I teach myself new things just because I can and they are interesting to me. I like reading books on physics or genetics a lot. But I also love fantastical worlds as well

And finally, I like strong women and sweet but assertive men. And since I have one of both in my life right now, I am pretty damned content. I hope I didn't leave anything out. If I did I will add it later. My baby wants me to get in the shower so we can be "productive" today Hehe! Later guys.

No comments: